Tuesday 24 January 2012

From Mentor to mentored........

"hi Derek it's Stephan (Brad's neuro surgeon) here. Are you sitting down".
Those were the words that changed my life. A transformation of values happened in an instant. You can never prepare yourself for something like this so don't even try. Instinct kicks in and you suddenly realise that shock was invented to take you through this initial stage of the surreal. Then slowly you thaw out as the adrenalin induced stupor that you have been in subsides and you realise that you have a couple of options and I won't waste your time even contemplating the others but you quickly realise that you have to face this adversary and throw every ounce of energy that you have at it. I have had many challenges in my life but none can compare to the one that sits squarely in my sights as I write this blog for my boy.

You have all being following a journey of unbelievable courage and determination and just when I thought I knew everything about my very own son he has shown me a side that I will draw inspiration from for the rest of my life. When someone tells you that you have a brain tumour your psyche plummets you down the tube of doom and gloom. It is in our instincts. No one tells you this. It takes a special being to pick yourself up and to turn this into an inspirational tale that will help others to deal with adversity no matter how big or how small. Just when I thought that I would always be the mentor for my family my very own son becomes my mentor.

You spend your whole life building value and you suddenly realise that that value has a whole different value than you ever imagined. Value normally transforms into material investments which inherently are completely emotionally valueless. I have just made the greatest investment I have ever made and it is an investment that is full of emotion and carries value that is not describable. My investment into my sons treatment and return to health will be my greatest investment and the one that I will be the most proud of. I will walk taller than I have ever walked when I return off that plane and am able to tell you all that Brad is cured.

Now don't get me wrong it is not just about an investment. When an F1 team wants to win the title they need the best car, the best team boss, the best team and the best driver. We have Stanford Advanced Medical Centre and that is exactly what it is "advanced". It has the most state of the art equipment that gives us options no matter where or how Brads tumour is located. Our Team boss is Dr. Griff Harsh whose credentials are exhaustive and having met Griff yesterday he brings a calm sense of confidence to us and we walk forward with an absolute belief in his ability to deal with Brads tumour. The team behind Griff are leaders in their respective fields and I have never experienced these levels of commitment and professionalism anywhere. And finally if you have a driver that lacks confidence, determination and guts that formula 1 car won't get out the pits. Brady is driving this challenge for his life with a determination,commitment and a guts like i have never seen before.I am so proud of him!

As I write this Brad is in theatre. Yesterday Dr.Harsh ( Griff) eXplained to us on closer examination it looks as if there is some form of cyst in Brads 2nd ventricle and he has decided to change the angle of attack for the biopsy to come in from the top right hand side of his head. He did say that when he has done the biopsy and ascertained what it is he may even resect the tumour today. Whichever way it is I know that Brady is in the best possible hands and care and we sit here waiting for a positive result.

Thought for the day: "when you think you have dug deep, dig deeper - there is a lot more in you than you will ever believe"
Brady has taught us a lesson in that.
Till the next one
Brad's Dad

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for continuing the blog and for your words of inspiration. I can see where Brad gets his positive outlook and strength of character from. My prayers are with you, Brad and the rest of your family.

      Delete
  2. Hi Derek, Ashleigh has just told me about Brad's Blog .....I am so pleased she did - Its been an Inspiration to read his wonderful positive expression.....Thinking of you all on this very difficult day and wishing you and Lisa strength . We are keeping Brad in our thoughts and praying for a full and speedy recovery. Sending Love, Light and Positive healing energy .....all our love, Clifford, Ronlynne and Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Derek and Lisa
    You are in our thoughts and prayers
    .loveRene Di Rob and Brit xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Derek and Brad , this is a great inspiration to me as we travel down a similar road with our little boy Max. As a dad , I can totally relate to your story , Derek and will continue to lean on you for support in the future. Brad our thoughts are with you . love Rob Laggar

    ReplyDelete