Friday 6 January 2012

The First Post

Hi everyone,

So this is my first post and hopefully there are many more to come. I have started this blog as a means of communicating my next few months and my battle through cancer with everyone following this blog.

This is how I stand at the moment. I am a 24 year old male, from Durban, South Africa. Here's the clanger, I have been diagnosed with brain cancer. Now let's gather ourselves and breathe, that's exactly what I did when I first heard the news. I have some form of cancer, not yet determined, in the 3rd ventricle in my brain. That's the ventricle that sits below ventricles 1&2 and is pretty much in the middle of my head.

Whether you are reading this blog from South Africa, or from afar, please understand that the medical staff in south Africa have been amazing. My neurosurgeon, Dr Stephan Joubert, and close friend to the family, Dr Stuart Kidgell, have been invaluable in plotting my path to healing setting me up on my path that I am on the threshold of beginning. Dr Joubert and Dr Kidgell have been a guiding hand in my decision to head overseas for treatment at the Stanford Neuro-Oncology Instiute. I have felt so immensely comfortable with these two doctors at my side, and I have put them into my own personal team that will help me combat this disease. The Decision to head overseas was furthered spearheaded by my family, Ally (my girlfriend) and I. We have decided to head off to Stanford University in California. We have been put into communication with Dr Griffith Harsh IV. I have all the faith in the world that my team, along with the the Stanford Medical team that we will be able to overcome this disease.

I have always lived my life, to the fullest and I don't regret a second of it. But when you hear the words "you have cancer", everything else becomes inane and irrespective. I will fight this cancer with everything I have, and I know I will be able to do this because I have the best team available, along with the very best support team. I just want to dedicate this first post to my personal team, Dad (Derek Woodhouse), and mom(Lisa Woodhouse), you are the best parents anyone could ask for, and I know you will be by my side every step of the way. Your baby boy will come home. Nix, Carm, Brenty, Ali and baby Bella, I love you guys more than anything, I will miss you guys so much but I will be home soon. And last but by no means least, Ally, I love you more than ever. I will be over there fighting and I know you wish you were there with me. I am coming back to be with you and I will never give up. I love you all so so much.

Now let's fight this thing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brad! Just read your blog. Will be following your progress in the US. Stay strong! Our thoughts and prayers are with you on this journey. It's so awesome to see your beautiful positive spirit, fighting this. Just got back from Knysna and we were thinking about all the good times we've shared with you this time last year! Lots of love always. Lisa and the rest of the Atkinson family xxox

    ReplyDelete