Saturday 12 October 2013

365 chances to answer the Man in the Mirror



You look, you stare, you see an answer that was always there, from the one person whose opinion you will need more than any other.  There will always be that face when the lights come on, or it will be the last face we see when the lights go out. It is the face which is devoid of all bias and influence, for it is our own face, its my face. When I look into the mirror I see someone that I didn’t see 2 years ago, I am not that person anymore. I ask myself reams and reams of questions that, if posed by any other, would be a gross overstepping of boundary and personal space.

It has now been a full year since my last operation, and I like to think that during that time, I have been hard but fair with myself. I have challenged myself, perhaps not to my full potential or ability, nevertheless I have done some things that required me to dig a little deeper. Its an odd feeling, knowing that 365 days have passed since a complete stranger, or a room full of strangers, burrowed into my skull in an attempt to rectify a very real problem (hydrocephalus, removal of a VP shunt which had blocked, and to perform a ventriculostomy (cutting teeny tiny slits into my ventricle wall to allow drainage)). The clarity I received before all of my operations will be something I will never forget. It invariably changed me, and the fact that I accepted death will scare me for the rest of my life. I said my goodbyes, but not with the intention of dying.

We have all looked into the mirror and either seen a person who we believe can achieve something great, or we fail, falling short of the expectation. Sometimes I feel I don’t eve know the person I see anymore.  I remember when I was posed the question last year about moving to London, and it took me a second to make up my mind, but a great deal longer to formulate why I did so. 

Perhaps it was because of the road I have endured, perhaps it was my desire to realize the importance of a challenge, or perhaps it was because I looked at myself in the mirror after my operation in October, with a shaved head, 4 scars etched into my skull, a bump from the ventriculostomy, a scar running down my abdomen, a tan from travelling Europe for 5 months, a smile across my face, and a deep burning desire in my eyes to achieve something, to define my own rules rather than let the cancer define me.

People always ask me a few basic questions, I say “basic” in the most endearing manner possible because they are genuinely interested or concerned, but don’t want to probe, therefore the questions are always the same. They seek to know how I am, or my next step in this unforeseen road. Every now and again, people come along who challenge you, they seek to ignite that fire that was always there but under the calmness of normality, the fire subsides. But sometimes that person gets the response they were looking for.

So there I stand, looking at myself in the least vain way possible, I find myself looking for faults that I will always know are there, still truths that lie undisturbed, and thoughts that will always be secret to me. Things that no other person will ever know, the answers that I uncovered mere seconds before my surgeries, they are the answers you get in that moment of clarity before a life threatening moment.

So, its been a year, every day I wake up knowing this thing is still in my head, and it puts that extra spring in my step, and it becomes the reason to smile. Sometimes the challenge mounts, and the paranoia of having cancer begins to creep in. I haven’t had an MRI (very happy to have a prolonged stay from that tunnel) for 6 months, but at the same time, as time continues to pass, I begin to feel aches and pains, weird feelings that I don’t think were there 6 months ago.

Sleeplessness is my latest foe, and it kindly reminds me that it is winning the battle from 3am-5am every morning. Perhaps it is due to it being a year since my last operation, and my conscious thought is battling with my subconscious trying to make sense of everything that has happened over the last two years, or maybe its because my brain is still trying to blur and blacken out what happened.  In those 2 hours of sleeplessness, I tend to ask myself questions, and I build scenarios of everything that has happened and could happen, and then I build a scenario of what I want to happen.I like to think I prevail and that I define my own dreams.

The hardest thing to accept, personally, is that cancer changes things. It changes people, it changes perspective, it changes values, norms, outset, personalities and it changes lives. There are two sides to whose life it changes, it changes the “victim” and it changes those in the "blast zone". It took me a great deal of time to full accept that I have cancer, it is in me, doing something (albeit at a very, very slow rate), but it is still there and for me, that changes things. It makes me question a great deal of things, and it is not some conceited stance on life or me thinking that I have something different to offer, its just that I always ask myself whether I am doing what makes me happy at that moment, and whether that could be the happiest I can be.

In the end, you have to find solace and comfort in who you are,  you have to address that person in the mirror, and know that everyday you have the opportunity to do what makes you happy, it isn’t a question of circumstance, because we can all find happiness in the most primitive of acts.

Don’t waste the time we have left, don’t ever stop questioning yourself, and don’t lose the desire to find the things in life that make you happy, and who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment